If you want to keep your body and mind in good shape, one of the best things you can do is practice basic personal hygiene. Maintaining healthy routines in terms of personal cleanliness can have positive effects on your immune system, your chance of contracting certain diseases, and your general state of health. And fortunately, there are numerous practices for residents that can assist lower their vulnerability to illness implemented in senior living in Matairie, LA. Here are 10 ways to support better personal hygiene that will help residents have a healthier life.
How Senior Living Helps the Elderly Maintain Personal Hygiene
- Eating well is an important part of staying physically healthy and staying that way. Foods abundant in fiber, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, are beneficial to digestive health and maintaining stamina and are offered at retirement communities.
- One strategy to maintain good hygiene is to drink enough water. Dehydration is common among the elderly. Thus, retirement communities make it a point to ensure their residents consume an adequate amount of water daily.
- Aim for 6-8 hours of sleep per night to ensure you are getting enough rest. In addition to improving your mood and lowering your blood pressure, getting a good night’s sleep nightly is essential. Fatigue and weakened immunity are common results of sleep deprivation. Cozy and modern senior apartment layouts can support a good night’s rest.
- Daily showering is another simple approach to maintaining proper personal hygiene. In addition to reducing the likelihood of developing rashes or other skin disorders, this will also help remove bacteria and other irritants from your skin. Showering assistance is offered in retirement communities.
- Nail trimming is an excellent technique to reduce bacteria under your nails. Infections can be avoided if you maintain clean fingernails and toenails. Retirement communities offer grooming assistance.
- To keep your gums healthy and prevent gum disease, you should wash your teeth twice a day. Health problems related to poor dental care are preventable, but only if you take the time to brush and floss twice daily.
- Retirement communities encourage residents to frequently wash their hands to help stop the spread of germs. Before touching anything else, wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Keeping a clean home is an excellent way to practice good personal hygiene. Use a disinfectant spray to wipe down counters, doorknobs, and other regularly touched surfaces to keep your home clean and germ-free. These are all performed by the senior living housekeeping team.
- Always keep your underarms fresh by using deodorant to prevent sweating excessively and odor buildup.
- The simple act of donning a fresh set of clothes on a daily basis is an important part of maintaining excellent hygiene and warding against skin illnesses. In order to prevent the spread of germs, it is important to change into clean clothes every day. Residents of retirement communities receive weekly laundry services.
It is easy to keep up with your personal hygiene with adequate support in a retirement community. Working on your personal hygiene is a sure way to boost your mood and health. You can make significant improvements to your life by taking charge of your personal hygiene and daily routine.