When people age, simple tasks can be become very difficult to do. There is a lot to worry about when it comes to our loved ones living alone as they grow older. The biggest area of concern is usually their safety. But how do we determine when it is no longer suitable for them to continue living at home? If it is indeed time for our loved ones to move out of their homes, what alternative living options are the most suitable ones for them?
There is a variety of senior living options where older adults can get benefits that they are unable to receive at home. Here are the benefits of assisted living near Gretna, LA vs aging at home.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is for older adults who want to continue enjoying their independence but require some form of assistance with their daily lives. Retirement communities that offer assisted living options provide care and assistance with residents’ activities of daily living (ADL), such as showering and using the restroom.
Benefits of Assisted Living
Assisted living communities uniquely combines health care, housing and socialization. Here some of the important benefits of this senior living option.
- Flexibility: Assisted living is usually part of retirement communities that provide a full continuum of care. This means you have flexible support and accommodation you need both presently and in the future. Every stage of your retirement will be supported there.
- 24/7 Care: These communities are equipped to provide round-the-clock medical assistance and help with any of their residents’ issues. They have a large team of team members who are professionally trained to cater to your needs quickly and efficiently.
- Vibrant social programs and activities: In assisted living, the social life of residents is one of the communities’ top priorities. By moving there, you can benefit from a wide variety of enriching programs and classes, fun exercises, delicious food daily and many on-site amenities.
Benefits of Aging at Home
There are many senior living communities and relevant agencies that provide home care, which comprises of daily assistance for older adults living at home. Here are some of the benefits of in-home care.
- Age in the comfort of your own home: The best thing about at-home care is that you can age in the comfort of the home that you are familiar with and love.
- You can have companionship: Living at home can be lonely. Sometimes you may not need assistance with activities of daily living, but you may require some companionship to keep you engaged. At-home care is able to provide that, having staff visit your home to play games, exercise and chat with you.
- You receive customized care: This care option happens one-to-one, so you will definitely get the adequate amount of support you need daily.
Which Option Should You Choose?
Ultimately, it all boils down to how much support and care you require daily. Should you require minor support and are still able to carry out most daily tasks without issue, you will benefit more from in-home care. However, if you require several hours of support daily, or need help with several or more daily tasks, assisted living would be the better choice for you, especially in the long term.